Looking for one of the most exciting jobs around?
Santa Barbara Adventure Company offers a fun, challenging and rewarding place of employment for people who love to be outside and share our region’s natural, beautiful places with our guests. We offer a huge variety of activities in and around Santa Barbara; imagine sea kayaking the Channel Islands one day, biking down the Santa Ynez Mountains the next and then facilitating a corporate team building trip the following day. This variety of work is one of the main reasons our guides love this job so much – they never get bored. In our 20th year of operation, we pride ourselves on our reputation as the biggest and best outfitter in the region and we are only looking for the best guides around.
Interested individuals should have these qualities:
- Love being outside
- Enjoy sharing beautiful places around Santa Barbara with others
- Are active & physically fit
- Can adapt their teaching style to different personalities
- Enjoy a fast-paced work environment
- Can think on their feet
- Take having fun seriously
- Enjoy a fun, tight-knit workplace that celebrates success
Desired skills for becoming a guide with the Santa Barbara Adventure Company:
- Outstanding customer service
- Excellent communication and teaching skills
- Leadership/Group Management skills
- Commercial Guiding experience is a plus but not required
- Team building Facilitation
- Interest & desire for Environmental Stewardship
- Interpretation skills and knowledge of local human and natural history
- First Aid/CPR certification, WFR, and WFA preferred
- Commercial driver’s license preferred (can get after hiring)
Prior skillsets that are helpful for becoming a guide with the Santa Barbara Adventure Company:
- Sea kayaking experience
- Team building experience with kids or adults
- Experience leading surf or SUP lessons
- Ability to ride a bicycle
- Knowledge of the local area
- Experience driving trailers
Work Season: Our busy season stretches from February – October with our peak months being June – September. Generally, new guides must be available for training beginning in February and be available to work until October. Guides must have flexible schedules; generally, we prefer to hire full-time guides vs. part-time guides. We are open year-round and there are a few select positions available for those looking for full-time year-round work. We operate day trips out of Santa Barbara, CA & Ventura, CA and multi-day trips in the Southern California area for outdoor education as well multi-day runs at the Channel Islands National Park.
Want to Learn More? Check out our company on our social media platforms to learn more about us:
Ready to apply?
How to Apply: Fill out and submit our online job application.
We recommend that you also drop an email to our Operations Manager, Kim, introducing yourself with a resume. Please describe any relevant guiding or leadership experience you have in your intro. attached
Typically we hire most of our new guides in JANUARY, then training begins in February. Our outdoor education season runs from March-May then from June-August we are sold-out almost daily with public day trips and from September-October, we have more outdoor education trips as the season quiets down. We accept applications year round.