Updated March 12, 2018
We would like to think every day is going to be sunny and bright in Santa Barbara, but on occasion the rain will come down. Luckily there are several interesting and fun things to do on these wet occasions. Here are five of my favorites.
1) Visit the Natural History Museum – Located just behind the Santa Barbara Mission, there are lots of fun and interesting exhibits to explore at this museum. The entry fee is very reasonable, $12 which includes free parking.
2) Read a book or check out a new one at the Santa Barbara Library. Open from 10am to 8pm Tuesday through Thursday, this is a great place to spend a rainy afternoon. Or check out a book and head to your favorite coffee house.
3) Drive to Santa Ynez and visit some of California’s best wine tasting rooms. Firestone Winery offers winery tours throughout the day, to make the trip educational as well as delicious!
4) Go kayaking. Now I know what you are thinking; kayaking, in the rain? But with a full body wetsuit and the right equipment kayaking in the rain can be an invigorating experience. Gliding through the water with the rain sprinkling around you is a beautiful thing. Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it!
5) Cook! And if you don’t know how – take a class. Santa Barbara City College offers several adult education cooking courses from Cake Decorating to Making Healthy Foods for Kids. You’re never too old to learn something new.
What is your favorite rainy day activity?
(originally published March 2011)