Interested individuals should have these qualities:
- Love being outside
- Enjoy sharing beautiful places around Santa Barbara with others
- Are active & physically fit
- Can adapt their teaching style to different personalities
- Enjoy a fast-paced work environment
- Can think on their feet
- Take fun seriously
- Enjoy a fun, tight-knit workplace that celebrates success
Desired experience for becoming a guide with the Santa Barbara Adventure Company:
- Outstanding customer service
- Excellent communication and teaching skills
- Leadership & Group Management skills
- Team building facilitation
- Guiding experience
- Interest & desire for environmental stewardship
- Interpretation skills and knowledge of local human and natural history
- First Aid & CPR certification required
- Wilderness First Responder or Wilderness First Aid preferred
- Commercial driver’s license preferred (can get after hiring)
Skill sets that are helpful for becoming a guide with the Santa Barbara Adventure Company:
- Sea kayaking
- Team building with kids or adults
- Surf and SUP
- Ability to ride a bicycle
- Knowledge of the local area
- Experience driving large passenger vehicles and trailers
Our busy season stretches from February – October with our peak months being June – September. Generally, new guides must be available for training beginning in February and be available to work until October.
Guides must have flexible schedules; generally, we prefer to hire full-time guides over part-time guides. We are open year-round and there are a few select positions available for those looking for full-time year-round work.
We operate day trips out of Santa Barbara, CA & Ventura, CA and multi-day outdoor education trips in the Southern California area and Channel Islands National Park.
Want to Learn More?
Check out our company on our social media platforms to learn more about us: